Dutch retail partnership Spar sees big opportunities to expand in markets where other Western chains fear to tread, exploiting a model of sharing global best practice among independent businesses trading from Angola to India and Ukraine.
Egypt has given the private sector a green light to import natural gas or liquefied natural gas (LNG), a government official said, a step that could encourage private investment in the energy sector while easing energy shortages.
South Africa's Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Ltd is selling off some of its businesses in Australia and Mauritius to Indian drugmaker Strides Arcolab Ltd. Strides will pay $300m for the businesses, expanding its footprint in markets that are set for brisk growth.
South Africa's energy crisis will be alleviated by the procurement of a nuclear fleet to generate 9,600 megawatts of power this year, the energy minister said today.
Banana plantations are thriving again in the tropical plains of Caxito in Angola and the country has been able to stop importing the fruit.
- Ghana's downturn gives time for reflection
- ECOWAS has played a stronger role as a political organisation
- Unions express outrage over reports of "selling" off of electricity utility, Eskom
- Mining: South Africa mining group says 38 percent of its members meet black ownership targets
- Kenya plans to privatise sugar companies within 12 months
- Islamic Insurance: Morocco adopts draft law to regulate takaful
- Bleak outlook for West Africa's iron ore dreams