With high overheads and poor access to loans, SMEs are suffering. The central bank has launched several risk-sharing schemes to try to boost the sector.
- Gemma Ware
Smaller and more agile local brands are taking the fight to multinationals seeking to benefit from increasing consumer spending in sub-Saharan Africa. Both sorts of firms are looking to expand in the region and are deploying new strategies to attract customers.
- Lawrence Quartey
French investors from various sectors will visit Ghana on May 22 to explore investment and business opportunities, a statement from the French Embassy in Accra has announced.
- Crystal van Vyk
South Africa's biggest trade union representing the mining sector has expressed anger at the "unilateral decision" by Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) to retrench 6000 workers at its operations in Rustenburg.
Egypt's Iskraemeco hopes Elsewedy's contacts will help it face the charge as utilities prepare to roll out new meter technologies.
- Nigeria: New dams mean power for all regions
- Ghana's banana industry gets EU boost
- Multinationals bristle at Nigeria's oil and gas reforms
- Zimbabwe: Chinese firm questions controversial hydroelectric contract
- Solar solutions in Ghana
- Can SA's Eskom keep the lights on?
- A city emerges from Nigeria's ocean