Nigerian stocks dropped 3.1 percent in early trades yesterday as investors waiting for clarity on a new central bank currency policy sold shares to book profits following a recent rally.
Standard Chartered is to launch its mobile and online banking platform in eight African countries, its consumer banking chief for the region announced, as the lender seeks to grow in Africa at a time when some European banks are retreating.
- Dasmani Laary
Mandela Washington Fellowship for young African leaders' initiative has concluded a three-day regional conference in Ghana, with a call on African leaders to pursue inclusive financial, social and digital policies to quicken the continent's development pace.
- Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has said it was still unclear whether South Africa's debt could be downgraded by Standard & Poor's and Fitch after holding discussions with the rating agencies last week, the Financial Mail reported on Thursday.
- James Harding Giahyue, additional reporting by Guy Faulconbridge in London
A grand jury in Liberia on Wednesday indicted government officials, including the speaker of parliament and the head of the ruling party, along with London AIM-listed Sable Mining on charges including bribery.
- Alexis Akwagyiram and Camillus Eboh, in Abuja
Nigeria's Senate on Wednesday passed a motion to invite Central bank governer, Godwin Emefiele and Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun to explain how a shift to a more flexible foreign exchange policy could help the economy to contend with its worst crisis in decades.
- Big and small affairs at the second day of the AfDB's Annual Meeting
- Nigerian stocks near 5-month high after central bank foreign exchange shift
- Manufacturing: Toyota invests $390 million to expand production at South African car plant
- South Africa's central bank calls for vigilance after Japan ATM heist
- Finance: Nigeria to adopt flexible foreign exchange regime
- Tanzania to invest $1.9 bn every year in energy projects by 2025
- A mining code you can live by in DRC