The cattle industry in Nigeria will not take off unless more money is invested and more time is spent on addressing the conditions of pastoralist herding communities.
- Duncan Miriri in Nairobi
Kenya Airways is to sell some older planes and land and is negotiating a bridging loan to help it through a cash crunch caused by a drop in passenger numbers, its chief executive said on Friday.
Wage demands by South African public-sector unions would cost the government an extra 20 billion rand ($1.67 billion) over the next financial year, the country's finance minister, as workers threaten mass protests in a push for higher pay.
Cameroon state airline Camair-Co will use $50 million from African lender Ecobank to relaunch its operations, a senior executive said, as national carriers in West Africa seek cash and strategic partners to stay afloat.
French bank Societe Generale plans to expand its retail and commercial activities in West Africa to target increasing Chinese investments in the region, a bank executive said on Thursday.
- Stella Dawson in Washington
The Ebola-stricken nations of West Africa are asking international donors to cancel their debts and give them $5-6 billion over two years to rebuild their economies, devastated by the deadly disease, Sierra Leone's president said on Thursday.
- Ethiopian farmers are getting 60% more of the value
- Tanzanian mobile phone subscribers jump by 16 pct in 2014
- Ghana's inflation continues to rise
- South African Airways in talks with Air China, Hainan Airlines over West African strategy
- Ethiopia: Chinese firm to start gas drilling by July
- Illegal fishing costs Ghana millions of dollars annually
- Energy: Egypt and Kuwaiti company in a $1.6 bn project deal