Ethiopian Airlines has contracted a German company, Lufthansa Technik to supply it with comprehensive component support for its new Airbus A350 fleet.
- George Obulutsa
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved an equivalent to $304.7 million in financial assistance for Madagascar under a 40-month Extended Credit Facility (ECF) arrangement to help shore up its economy, the fund said.
- Chijioke Ohuocha and Ulf Laessing, additional reporting by Sujata Rao and Alexis Akwagyiram
Breaking the central bankers' taboo on use of the 'p-word', Nigeria's Godwin Emefiele is urging people not to panic about the banking system, saying he is on top of any trouble resulting from the worst crisis in Africa's biggest economy for decades.
- Ed Stoddard and TJ Strydom
South Africa's National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said on Friday its members will go on strike at power utility Eskom, the sole provider of electricity in Africa's most industrialised country, from 8 August.
- Mfuneko Toyana
South African Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said on Friday that the domestic and global growth outlooks remained bleak and sounded a warning about the financial health of state-owned companies, which include power utility Eskom.
- Chen Aizhu
Chinese companies and banks agreed preliminary deals with African counterparts on $17 billion worth of cooperation in sectors including infrastructure, energy, pharmaceuticals and information technology, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Thursday.
- Ehab Farouk
Egypt expects to receive at least $2 billion within two months of agreeing a three-year $12 billion loan programme with the International Monetary Fund, a senior finance ministry official said on Thursday.
- Algeria to implement 'new growth model' to cope with oil price drop
- Telecoms: India's Bharti Airtel blames Nigerian losses as Q1 net profit drops 31 per cent
- Zimbabwe stock market records $104 trade
- Home-grown policies unlock Ghana's economic growth potential
- South Africa's petrochemical and pharmaceutical strike could hit oil refineries
- Finance: Egypt says close to securing 3-year IMF loan programme
- Telecoms: Mozambique's two state-owned firms to merge