Ethiopia has requested support from the Turkish government to press for the release of a $700 million loan that the Turkish EXIM Bank pledged to finance the construction of the African country's Awash-Woldia railway project.
A government decision to withhold $200 million in tax refunds has compelled Glencore-owned Mopani Copper Mines to suspend some of its planned $800 million Zambian copper mining projects.
- Jana Marais in Port Louis
Despite government hopes of Mauritius becoming a high-income country by the end of the decade, analysts fear the downturn in the key sugar and tourism industries, sparked by the European economic crisis, mean it will miss its 2020 target. Meanwhile, the financial sector remains under pressure due to concerns over the future of a crucial tax treaty.
- George Obulutsa and Edmund Blair
Kenya has joined Africa's top ten economies after its gross domestic product was estimated to be 25 percent bigger. This comes after the east African country's authorities changed the base calculation year to 2009 from 2001.
Kenya's gross domestic product (GDP) was estimated to be 25 percent bigger after the authorities changed the base calculation year to 2009 from 2001, sending the east African nation into the top 10 of Africa's largest economies.
- Algerian oil and gas field auction looks for foreign investors
- Ivorian cocoa farmers see robust harvest
- Suez Canal collision: delays to traffic
- IMF predicts 4.5% fall in Ghana's growth rate
- Mauritius: business confidence hits record low
- Somalia: worst ranking in African rule of law index
- Egypt to start exporting petrochemicals to Europe