Residents in Port Harcourt, a harbour in Nigeria's oil-producing Niger Delta region, staged protests to complain about heavy air pollution blamed on an Asphalt factory.
Sibanye Gold Ltd has secured a loan of $2.65 billion to support the acquisition of Stillwater Mining Company, the only US miner of platinum and palladium, the South African company said on Monday.
Kenya declared a national disaster on Friday (February 10) calling for aid to counter drought that is posing a major risk to people, livestock and wildlife.
Nigeria wants to borrow at least $1bn from the World Bank to help haul it out of recession and plans to present the required economic reform proposals to the lender this month, officials and diplomats told Reuters.
Nigeria's Arik Air is in receivership due to its inability to pay workers and creditors, prompting the government to take control of the country's biggest airline, state-owned "bad bank" AMCON said on Thursday.
A Kenyan court said on Thursday it would be unconstitutional for the government to close a sprawling refugee camp housing mostly people who have fled unrest in neighbouring Somalia.
- Nigeria fine to push South Africa's MTN to 2016 loss, shares fall
- Ethiopian Airlines revenues rise, says US travel ban causing confusion
- Recession-hit Nigeria targets economy to grow at annual 7 percent by 2020
- Botswana's growth to almost double as commodity sales rebound
- South Africa to publish contested mining charter by March
- Tanzania says needs $46 billion in power investment by 2040
- EU leaders meet in Malta for roundtable talks on African migration