Delphine Maidou –Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty Africa's chief executive – is leading the company's new African expansion. In an interview with The Africa Report, Maidou spoke about her strategy and the challenges affecting the insurance sector in terms of talent and regulation.
- Chijioke Ohuocha and Alexis Akwagyiram, additional reporting by Felix Onuah in Abuja
Nigeria, Africa's biggest economy, officially slid into recession for the first time in more than 20 years as the statistics office announced a further contraction in the second quarter of the year.
- Stella Mapenzauswa, additional reporting by Tanisha Heiberg and Zimasa Mpemnyama and Ed Stoddard
South Africa's ruling party backed Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan on Tuesday but urged him to cooperate with police investigations, days after Gordhan declined to meet detectives looking into his time at the tax office.
Senegal's economy is healthy and GDP should grow more than 6 percent this year and next, while its budget deficit will fall from a projected 4.2 percent of GDP this year to 3.7 percent in 2017, the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday.
- Tiisetso Motsoeneng
South Africa's Steinhoff warned on Wednesday the slump in the pound after Britain's vote to leave the European Union would hurt its UK business as the furniture conglomerate fell a touch short of estimates with a one-third rise in annual sales.
- IMF insists on international forensic audit of Mozambique debt
- Mothballed Ghana gold mine reveals risk of reliance on minerals
- Oil & Gas: Uganda gives Tullow Oil, Total production licences
- South African minister tells Eskom to release coal contracts report to Treasury
- Aviation: Tunisia's state airline to cut 1,000 jobs
- Egyptian parliament approves Value Added Tax at 13%
- South Sudan seeks $300 million in external support for budget