NewsSouthern AfricaSouth Africa: ANC conference kicks off

Sun,21Oct2018

Posted on Friday, 14 December 2012 13:05

South Africa: ANC conference kicks off

ANC leader Jacob Zuma is facing a challenge from his deputy, Kgalema MotlantheThe African National Congress's elective conference kicks off in Mangaung at the weekend, with close to 5,000 members expected to attend.

 

All party senior posts are up for grabs, with ANC leader Jacob Zuma facing a challenge from his deputy, Kgalema Motlanthe.

On Thursday, after weeks of silence, the deputy President, Kgalema Motlanthe indicated that he would be challenging Zuma who was hoping to shake off a leadership challenge.

Motlanthe was nominated for the position of president, deputy president and national executive committee member of the ANC.

But the odds are stacked against Motlanthe. Several provinces including Kwazulu Natal and Mpumalanga and the ANC's Women's League have ensured that Zuma is leading the pack.

The ANC's national executive committee and its top six leaders would be chosen during two separate elections.

The ANC Electoral Commission said "this would allow for someone who ran unsuccessfully for a top six position to stand for a position on the NEC".

The conference is also expected to come up with policy decisions to guide the ANC for the next five years, chief among them nationalization of mines.

Meanwhile the Constitutional Court ruled that the ANC's Free State provincial elective conference was invalid, in a judgement handed down in Johannesburg.

"The provincial elective conference of Free State province of the African National Congress held at Parys on 21-23 June 2012 and its decisions and resolutions are declared unlawful and invalid," the judgment said.

An appeal was brought by six Free State ANC members who challenged the validity of the provincial executive congress last month, claiming elections at branch level were irregular.

Close to 300 delegates from the province might now fail to attend the congress.

"The Free State congress is set aside and no delegates will attend the congress being held in their backyard or that that representative of the branches may attend but not the leadership," an analyst said.

ANC secretary general, Gwede Mantashe said they would wait until they received reasons for the judgement before crafting a way forward.

"If we must re-run the conference we will re-run it and the reasons will be given to us on Tuesday, so we can't really interpret the judgment (at the moment)," he said.



Subscriptions Digital EditionSubscriptions PrintEdition

FRONTLINE

NEWS

POLITICS

HEALTH

SPORTS

BUSINESS

SOCIETY

TECHNOLOGY

COLUMNISTS

Music & Film

SOAPBOX

Newsletters

Keep up to date with the latest from our network :

subscribe2

Connect with us