Two former Nigerian ministers have been charged with theft of over 4.9 billion naira ($17.4 million) of government funds and money laundering, the financial crimes agency said on Tuesday.
- Friday, 01 July 2016 12:35
- Alexis Akwagyiram, Felix Onuah and Camillus Eboh
- Friday, 01 July 2016 06:48
- Alexis Akwagyiram
Nigeria has signed oil and gas infrastructure agreements worth $80 billion with Chinese companies, the West African country's state oil company said on Thursday.
- Friday, 01 July 2016 06:36
- Joe Brock and Ulf Laessing, qdditional reporting by Tiisetso Motsoeneng in Johannesburg, Felix Onuah and Camillus Eboh in Abuja
Telecoms firm MTN hired former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder in January to help it reduce a $3.9 billion fine imposed in Nigeria over unregistered SIM cards. Five months later, it struck a deal to pay less than half of that.
- Thursday, 30 June 2016 15:03
- Rosie Collyer in Maiduguri and Yola
The reconstruction needs for regions affected by Boko Haram are huge. The government and donors are beginning to mobilise funds, but improving security, relaunching economies and fostering justice and reconciliation are proving challenging.
- Thursday, 30 June 2016 12:21
- Dasmani Laary in Accra
Ghana's main electricity distributor has started disconnecting power to thousands of people and institutions that were connected to the grid illegally as at seeks to recover millions of dollars lost through illegal connections and from other debtors.