Figures from the GMB show that as of mid-November 2022, the parastatal had received 120,000mt of wheat worth over Z$25m and Z$30bn (US$37.5m).
About 22% of the delivered wheat has been paid for, with the remaining 78% still to be paid, according to GMB officials.
For the standard grade of wheat, the Southern African nation’s most strategic crop after corn, GMB is paying a price of Z$243,680 (US$304) plus US$200 per tonne.
Wheat is mostly grown under irrigation during the winter season, which runs from May to July in Zimbabwe, before the crop is harvested from October to December.
During the rainy season from October to March, farmers plant other crops, such as soya beans and corn.
Zimbabwe’s ambition to be food secure
The Southern African nation, which was once the breadbasket of Africa, has for the first time planted wheat on 79,000 hectares of land since the crop was first grown in
There's more to this story
Get unlimited access to our exclusive journalism and features today. Our award-winning team of correspondents and editors report from over 54 African countries, from Cape Town to Cairo, from Abidjan to Abuja to Addis Ababa. Africa. Unlocked.
Already a a subscriber Sign In