As it enters its last year of operation since its establishment 20 years ago by the United Nations, the Arusha, Tanzania based Tribunal is now faced with the question of where to send convicts, who have refused to serve their sentences in Rwanda.
The convicts include different high profile people in the then Rwanda government
The court prosecuted and convicted 83 of the 92 initial suspects, nine of whom remain at large.
Addressing a press conference at Uganda’s media centre in Kampala on Tuesday, ICTR information officer, Danford William Mpumilwa said the UN had passed a resolution to deal with the court’s dilemma.
The resolution appeals to member states to host the genocide convicts in their countries, where they can serve their sentences.
“The convicts include different high profile people in the then Rwanda government, including senior military commanders, cabinet ministers, businessmen and journalists among others,” Mpumilwa said.
However, Rwanda’s ambassador to Uganda, Frank Mugambage, accused the global court of being slow in its methods of work.
“The government of Rwanda put in place local courts called Gacaca in which thousands of genocide cases were expeditiously tried and the suspects found guilty were punished,” he said.
An estimated 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda in1994 when the majority Hutu massacred the Tutsi minority.
Understand Africa's tomorrow... today
We believe that Africa is poorly represented, and badly under-estimated. Beyond the vast opportunity manifest in African markets, we highlight people who make a difference; leaders turning the tide, youth driving change, and an indefatigable business community. That is what we believe will change the continent, and that is what we report on. With hard-hitting investigations, innovative analysis and deep dives into countries and sectors, The Africa Report delivers the insight you need.View subscription options