DON'T MISS : Talking Africa New Podcast – What Museveni wants in the DRC

South Africa denies CAR’s wanted ex-president’s refuge reports

By Crystal van Vyk
Posted on Friday, 7 June 2013 08:34

There were reports that Bozize had left Cameroon where he had been holed since he was toppled by rebels in March. He reportedly travelled via Kenya to an unnamed destination.

But South Africa’s International Relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela said:”I don’t know where those reports come from.”



One of Bozize’s aides had reportedly told AFP that the deposed leader was heading to South Africa but the reports were dismissed as untrue by a spokesman for the former CAR strongman.



CAR has issued an international arrest warrant against Bozize for charges including 22 for murder and 119 “summary executions” as well as numerous abductions and the destruction of nearly 4,000 homes.



Bozize’s name was not on the Interpol wanted list as of June 4.



Thirteen South African soldiers were killed and 27 injured during Bozize’s last days in power. The death toll rose to 15 after two more soldiers died from their wounds in South Africa.

South Africa has since withdrawn its 200 troops, which had been deployed to train the CAR army.

According to a 2007 Human Rights Watch Report, during his 10 years in office, Bozize’s armed forces engaged in summary executions, unlawful killings, used children as soldiers and many other human rights violations.

We value your privacy

The Africa Report uses cookies to provide you with a quality user experience, measure audience, and provide you with personalized advertising. By continuing on The Africa Report, you agree to the use of cookies under the terms of our privacy policy.
You can change your preferences at any time.