20 questions on Africa in 2012
The first five people to send in all the correct answers will receive a year’s free digital subscription to The Africa Report. Please send your answers by email to email@example.com. The answers will be published in the next issue of The Africa Report and on www.theafricareport.com in late January
1. What African economy is projected to grow the fastest in 2012?
a) Sierra Leone
2. Which American pop sensation did South African group Die Antwoord make fun of in a video?
3. Which Nigerian state governor bought a brand new Bombardier Global 5000 jet in October 2012?
4. Which African country has the biggest army?
5. Which country saw its first sovereign bond issuance oversubscribed 15 times in October?
6. In a speech by US secretary of state Hillary Clinton in August in Senegal, which the Chinese state media complained took “cheap shots” at China’s role in Africa, how many times did Clinton say the word China?a) 20
7. Why did Chad sack its minister of good governance Ahmadaye Al Hassan after his arrest in February?
a) corruption and embezzlement
b) attempted murder
8. Who is the odd president out?a) Thomas Yayi Boni of Benin
b) Isaias Afewerki of Eritrea
c) Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe
d) Abdelaziz Bouteflika of Algeria
9. Which African country was said to be mulling a two-child policy to curb population growth in November?
10. Which African country was elected to the UN Security Council in October?
11. How many chickens do South Africans consume each year?a) 10m
12. Which politician went ahead with a lavish wedding in September but could not sign the marriage certificate because he was already married?
13. What is Africa’s fastest-growing city of more than 750,000 people?
b) Dar es Salaam
14. Which country sacked its manager after failing to qualify for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations?
15. What was Nollywood’s highest-grossing film of 2012?
16. Which country is the odd one out?
c) Equatorial Guinea
17. Which African country won 12 Paralympic powerlifting medals at the London 2012 Paralympics?
18. Which country has the lowest mobile phone penetration rate in Africa?
19. Three African presidents have been indicted for war crimes, and one of them convicted. Name all three.
20. The year 2012 was a big one for strikers, even at the world’s deepest mine. Name the mine.