Quiz: What happened in Africa in 2020?
Think you have had your finger on the pulse of African news? The first five people to answer all the questions correctly will receive a year’s subscription to our digital edition.
Please e-mail your answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 March 2021.
- Which Tanzanian music star was jailed for a social media post?
- Which singer from the Democratic Republic of Congo was arrested for a song called ‘Ingratitude’?
- Ferraris, a Bentley, a Merc and a mansion in Johannesburg were part of the ‘loot’ in what South African graft scandal?
- The AU’s African Peer Review Mechanism is alleged to have ‘lost’ a $1m donation from which country, according to whistleblowers?
- Which airline continued to fly to China when all others on the continent stopped during the Covid crisis?
- Africa’s first Covid-19 case was recorded in which country?
- Which African Union member state is the only one not to have signed the AfCFTA treaty?
- Who was criticised for tweeting a picture of Robert Mugabe on Africa Day?
- Which African country began its sponsorship of the Paris Saint-Germain football team, having already sponsored Arsenal?
- A September tweet suggested this Nigerian business leader’s strategy is ‘Let Aliko [Dangote] use his head to break the coconut, then we follow.’ Who did it refer to?
- The ‘miracle’ Covid-19 cure promoted by Madagascar’s President Andry Rajoelina is based on which genus of plant?
- Once filled, what is the water capacity of the reservoir for the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam?
- Which president changed his name by adding a childhood name that loosely translates as ‘one who does not take advice’?
- How many African presidents changed the constitution to allow for a third term in 2020?
- And who are they? (Extra points for naming their countries)
- Which rapper has diversified his business interests to cover cryptocurrency and the construction of a futuristic African city?
- Name the head of an anti-corruption agency who was suspended in 2020 pending an investigation into alleged corrupt practices.
- Name an African country that announced in 2020 that it would allow the cultivation of marijuana for medicinal purposes.
- Whose tweets on the US election parodied Western reporting on Africa: ‘Polls are set to open in 48 hours across the US as the authoritarian regime of Donald Trump attempts to consolidate its hold over the troubled, oil-rich, nuclear-armed, North American nation’ – helping many to laugh through the aftermath of the 4 November vote?
20. Which ‘giant of African music’ died of the coronavirus in March?
This article is available as part of the print edition of The Africa Report magazine: ‘Africa in 2021 – Who will be the winners and losers of the post-Covid era?’